Attorney Profile: Ten Questions and Answers with Michael I. Fistel, Jr.
— Johnson Fistel, LLP (@JF_LLP) August 5, 2022
1. Where were you born and what makes that city special?
I was born in Brooklyn, New York, which is a diverse city both in terms of race and religion. Because of this diversity, Brooklyn is home to amazing music, art, and food. We moved out of Brooklyn when I was just a toddler, to “The Island”, as a lot of folks do. We lived on Long Island until I was about ten years old, when we moved to Boca Raton, Florida. I’ve also lived in Tallahassee, Florida, Boston, Massachusetts, and now, for the last twenty or so years, Atlanta (or the surrounding areas at least), Georgia. I think each of the places in which I’ve lived have imparted certain characteristics in me through the years and have had a hand in making me who I am today.
2. What activities or hobbies do you enjoy the most?
I like hanging with my wife, kids, and pups, traveling, drinking vino, cooking (and eating!), dinner gatherings with family and friends, Formula One racing and Florida State University sports. I also have a podcast about wine with fellow oenophiles.
3. What inspired you to pursue the legal field?
I wanted to do something that made a difference, helped people, and was challenging.
4. How long have you been a practicing attorney?
Twenty-one years. Wow, that makes me sound old!
5. Up to this point in your life, what is the achievement you are most proud of?
My family, hands down. On a professional level, it is being part of an amazing team of people here at Johnson Fistel that are united in vision, mission, and purpose.
6. How would you describe yourself as a person?
Outgoing, friendly, caring, realistic, diplomatic.
7. Give us one or two items from your bucket list.
I would love to get paddock tickets to an F1 race for my family to enjoy the racing experience up close. I’ve also always wanted to write a novel.
8. If you could be any kind of animal, what would you be?
A cool bird (like an eagle or a hawk).
9. What is your favorite movie?
Any of the Harry Potter movies. I am a big Harry Potter nerd!
10. If you were not a lawyer, what would you be doing?
I would be a college professor because it would allow me the opportunity to make a difference and still be on my feet in public, speaking and interacting with people.