Mr. Sunstrom is an associate in the Atlanta office of Johnson Fistel. He has played crucial roles in many high-stakes litigations that have resulted in the recoupment of tens of millions of dollars on behalf of investors as well as the implementation of substantial corporate reforms.
- In re Flowers Foods, Inc. Securities Litigation, No. 7:16-CV-00222-WLS (M.D. Ga.), a securities class action case brought under §§10(b) and 20(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the complaint alleged that defendants made false and misleading statements in connection with the Company’s labor strategy. Consequently, Flowers Foods stock traded at artificially inflated prices during the Class Period. After extensive litigation, the Court approved a $21 million class settlement.
- Glock v. FTS International, Inc., et al., Civil Action No. 4:20-cv-03928 (S.D. Tx.), a securities class action brought pursuant to §§11 and 15 of the Securities Act of 1933 that alleged defendants made materially false and misleading statements and omissions in FTS International, Inc.’s initial public offering documents, Mr. Sunstrom was a member of the litigation team that obtained a $9.875 million settlement.
- In re HD Supply Holdings, Inc. Derivative Litigation, Lead Case No. 1:17-cv-02977-MLB (N.D. Ga.), a stockholder derivative action brought on behalf of HD Supply alleging that certain executives and directors of HD Supply violated federal and state law by making false and misleading statements to investors, thereby artificially inflating the stock price, and engaged in unlawful insider trading, Mr. Sunstrom was a member of the litigation team that secured a settlement that provided HD Supply with significant corporate therapeutic benefits.
- In re Southern Company Shareholder Derivative Litigation, No. 1:17-cv-00725-MHC (N.D. Ga.), a stockholder derivative action brought on behalf of The Southern Company against certain of The Southern Company’s current and former officers and directors for breaches of fiduciary duties, unjust enrichment, and corporate waste, Mr. Sunstrom is a member of the firm’s litigation team, which the Court appointed to serve as Lead Counsel. This action is currently pending in the Northern District of Georgia.
Also, prior to joining Johnson Fistel, Mr. Sunstrom worked for the Georgia Secretary of State as an enforcement attorney, where he conducted investigations and brought enforcement actions pursuant to the Georgia Uniform Securities Act. Furthermore, during his third year of law school, Mr. Sunstrom worked full-time at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in the Enforcement Division. While there, he was a member of several enforcement teams that brought investigations for violations of the federal securities laws, including one that conducted an investigation into an investment bank’s fraudulent multi-million-dollar bond mismarking scheme carried out against the bank’s short-term lenders, which resulted in both the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Department of Justice bringing charges against several individuals.
Mr. Sunstrom’s practice consists of representing investors in securities class actions and shareholder derivative actions as well as taking on other representations in complex litigation actions.
Professional Qualifications and Activities
Mr. Sunstrom was admitted to the State Bar of Georgia in November of 2018 and is currently admitted in good standing with the following courts:
- The United States District Courts for the Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia
- All State and Superior Courts of Georgia
- The Georgia Court of Appeals
- The Georgia Supreme Court
In 2018, Mr. Sunstrom earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Georgia School of Law, where he graduated cum laude, served as a Notes Editor on the Georgia Journal of International & Comparative Law, and his article titled China: Environmental Protectionist or Economic Protectionism, 46 Ga. J. Int’l & Comp. L. 873 (2018) was approved for publication. Also, Mr. Sunstrom was a member of Mock Trial and finished as a Quarter-finalist in the J. Melvin England Mock Trial Competition. Mr. Sunstrom graduated summa cum laude from the University of West Georgia in 2015 with a degree in Political Science.
Community and Volunteer Activities
Mr. Sunstrom is a member of the Midtown Atlanta Rotary Club and serves on the Public Image Committee.