The Asset Protection Group at Johnson Fistel is ready to help guide you through the Asset Protection process.
Link to article: https://t.co/kcDBHEyzbp #residencetrust #offshoretrusts #domesticasset pic.twitter.com/17uJllzEmy
— Johnson Fistel, LLP (@JF_LLP) April 6, 2021
You have worked hard to build your business, fund your retirement and provide for your family. You may have even formed a living trust to reduce taxes and “protect” your wealth for future generations. But there are real and substantial risks to your assets and estate that you may not even aware of. That is why you should consider Asset Protection. A comprehensive and integrated Asset Protection Plan can help you safeguard your accumulated wealth, allowing you to protect your estate and family now and well into the future.
Although it’s related, Asset Protection is not the same thing as Estate Planning. A basic Estate Plan (will, trust, health care directive, etc.) really only keeps your estate from going through probate, which is useful but doesn’t provide much protection against aggressive creditors, litigants, scammers or others who might be focused on separating you from your wealth.
Asset Protection takes estate planning to the next level – it is designed to provide your estate with the maximum amount of liability protection, ensuring that your assets are insulated from litigation risk and other potential threats. Asset Protection starts with the preparation of a strategic plan designed to make sure that all potential personal and professional risks are identified and addressed. Once the risks and potential liabilities are known, an Asset Protection Plan will implement creative and proven strategies to minimize liabilities and eliminate risks, leaving you and your family in a much safer and stronger financial position.
There is no cookie cutter or one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to Asset Protection, but there are elements that can be incorporated depending upon the needs of your family, business and holdings. There is also no need to build a rocket ship to go next door, and a good plan should not be overly complex or expensive. Every plan should be uniquely tailored and personalized to a client’s needs and risk level.
A good Asset Protection Plan should accomplish the following:
- Full assessment of your personal and professional risks
- Complete evaluation of your goals and objectives
- Complete review of all available options, opportunities and associated costs to accomplish your goals and objectives
- Implementation of an integrated plan that provides maximum protection for your current wealth and potential future earnings in the most tax efficient and cost-effective manner.
Asset Protection Strategies include the following:
- LLCs and Corps (entities designed to limit personal liability)
- Personal Residence Trusts (protecting your home from lawsuits and creditors)
- Family Limited Partnerships (transferring accumulated wealth and business interests while minimizing potential tax liabilities)
- Equity Stripping (making your assets less desirable litigation targets)
- Private Retirement Plans (personalized plans tailored to your individual retirement needs)
- Domestic asset protection trusts (using state specific laws to provide maximum privacy and protection)
- Offshore Trusts (using foreign jurisdictions to shield wealth and assets and discourage lawsuits)
- Philanthropic Integration (supporting your passions while minimizing taxes)
The Asset Protection Group at Johnson Fistel is ready to help guide you through the Asset Protection process and assist with the development of a comprehensive and integrated plan that provides you and your family with maximum security and peace of mind.